Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Mamee Apple Chutney

I'm so enamored with mammee apples. They aren't found commonly here, but I sometimes find them at Maku'u farmer's market from vendors/growers who embrace exotic fruits. Firm and tangy, they ease my craving for a summer nectarine or apricot.

mammee apple - yum!
 I found that Mammee apples also substitute for mangos in chutney. The should work in any recipe - try your favorite and let me know! I made some chutney with ingredients on-hand, trying to keep it mostly-local.

3 cups chopped ripe mammee apple
1/4 cup palm sugar
1/2 cup vinegar (used homemade pineapple vinegar, if using something strong, may want to use less.)
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/3 cup diced shallots
2 in piece grated fresh ginger

Mix all ingredients together in medium sauce pan.

mixed, before heating

Simmer together ~15 minutes, low heat, stir often. Mixture will

mammee apple chutney served with quinoa pilaf and homemade raita
Delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment